Saturday, February 20, 2010

Oh, Michael Pollan...

... how I love you.
"To my eye, there are few sights in nature quite as stirring as a fresh row of vegetable seedlings rising like a green city on the spring ground. I love the on-off digital rhythm of new green plant and black turned loam, the geometrical ordering of bounded earth that is the vegetable garden in May- before the plagues, before the rampancy, before the daunting complexities of summer. The sublimities of wilderness have their place, okay, and their legions of American poets, God knows, but I want to speak a word here for the satisfaction of the human earth. I'd call it the Agricultural Sublime if that didn't sound too much like an oxymoron."
-From Botany of Desire

I'm starting to get sick of winter. I've always been a spring girl, maybe because I was born in early March, just when you start to see the grass peeking out and little buds starting to think about popping out. I can't wait to see that ridiculously bright green of renewal- I think the green of seedlings always looks extra bright because it is a sight for sore eyes.

1 comment:

  1. There are some daffodils and crocus peeking out of the ground here! It's kind of like a sense of relief. Hang in there for spring!

    ReplyDelete