Sunday, November 1, 2009

Prairie fire that wonders about...



What a week. I was sick (again, but thankfully not swine!!!). Then I had to make up all the work from being sick. And go to practice! But Saturday was the official end of volleyball season. Even though I am going to miss it, it will be nice to have more time to myself and to dedicate to studying! Exams are in two and half weeks! Where did the time go!?!?
It was one of those weeks where you don't have a minute to slow down, catch your breath, and actually look around. Today for my Intro to Environmental Studies class we went to the prairie reserve owned my my college. It is 750 acres of prairie and woodlands. There is hardly any prairie left in Illinois, mostly because of conversion to agricultural lands.
It was amazing. The grass was taller than me! It was beautiful and it made me feel rejuvenated! It also made me think of the Sufjan Stevens song "Prairie Fire That Wanders About". It's mostly instrumental, but here are the lyrics to ponder...
Peoria! Destroyia!
Infinity! Divinity!
For Lydia! Octavia!
And Jack-of-Trades!
The Cubs! Hooray!
The Opera House
Where Emma sang!
America! Oh will it play?
And Santa Clause!
The Great Parade!
Peoria!
You have it made!
Into the crossfire
faithfully run
Middle America,
one on one
Peoria!
we saddle the fun times

1 comment: