Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I want a time machine

I have decided that I would like a time machine.
I want to go back at least 100 years...
before we all had cars
before we deforested most of the world
before we led thousands of species to extinction
before we became dependent on oil
before we let ppm CO2 get to above 350
before we decided that our GDP was more important than the air we breathe and the water we drink
before we dumped ballast water on foreign shores and spread invasive marine species
before we allowed the tropical rain forests to disappear at a rate of 100,000 acres a day
before we decided highways were better than public transportation
before we manufactured chemicals that we didn't know about
before we forgot to be stewards of the Earth
before we decided we didn't care about the destruction

But I don't have a time machine, so this will have to do for now.
Take some time today to think.
Take some time to be overwhelmed.
Because even though I am thoroughly frustrated, I am thoroughly committed and invigorated and determined.

And on the bright side, it is the 40th anniversary of Sesame Street...

1 comment: