Thursday, October 8, 2009

Wind farms

It was one of those moments where you REALLY wish you had brought your camera. My volleyball team was driving to Lincoln, Illinois for a game. Usually I space out and listen to music, sleep, or get some reading done for class, but I was in a seat that didn't really make it easy to sleep. So instead I looked out the window for about 2 hours straight. But it was totally worth it! All of a sudden, I saw wind turbines in the middle of corn fields! People say they are ugly, but I think they were beautiful. The corn stalks are all yellow, and the sky was so blue, it was picture perfect.
I don't think wind power can solve all our energy needs, but it seems pretty awesome to me that, even though I have a lot of issues with corn, the fields can also be used to house these giant power producers. My coach knows I'm into sustainability, and she asked me what I thought about wind power. I think that if we saw renewable energy in action every once in awhile, it would spark more conversations. But sadly, I don't often see many wind turbines or solar panels in the Northeast. Plus wind power seems to be recession-proof! I'll try to get a picture some other time, I'm sure I'll be passing through some wind farm one of these days on my way to Iowa or Wisconsin. Bus rides aren't my favorite, but I sure am seeing a lot of the Midwest!
I'm feeling lots better, I'm still stuffy but I feel like I'm on the mend! My dad is coming tomorrow for family weekend, and will get to see 2 games. And my quilt will be coming with him, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment