Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My bike!

I've wanted a new bike since I was about 12 years old. But I didn't really need one. But then, tada, I decided to go to college somewhere flat with actual sidewalks, where having a bike is actually a viable alternative to driving. And I got a card on graduation day with an IOU from my parents for a bike of my very own.So one weekend during the summer, we ventured to the Old Spokes Home in Burlington, Vermont. It is an awesome place that sells refurbished old bikes. And it was there that I found my awesome old-school turquoise Schwinn "Starlett".

Apparently I am not the only one here with a bike like this. I've seen some sweet fenders and white wall tired round these parts. I found my bike's soulmate outside one of the buildings the other day. I've also spotted a yellow one that is similar.I figure giving my bike another incarnation is pretty green. Yeah, it may be a little rusted and the seat squeaks, but I'm not wasting materials to build a brand new bike when there are still plenty out there that are running just as well.

I'm feeling much better. I went to my first class yesterday and realized that I needed to still be in bed. So I emailed my professors and went to sleep! I didn't go to practice either. Luckily, I'm feeling much better today, and luckily have no classes, so I can catch up on my work. I'll check in with the trainer this afternoon to see if I can practice! I'm super excited for my dad to come friday for family weekend, too. I wasn't homesick at all until I got sick- that's when you really want someone to take care of you!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're on the mend, Gretta. Sounds like you put the "coming -down-with-something" action plan into place at just the right moment!

    ReplyDelete