Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lots going on!

ALRIGHT. Here are some important crunchy developments here on my campus and in my life.
In no particular order
-Last night I went to a screening of Eating Alaska, and excellent non-bummer of a film about trying to eat locally in a place like Sitka, Alaska. Ellen Frankenstein, the filmmaker, did some Q&A after and is absolutely delightful. Earlier the morning, I got to see a lecture by her commercial fisherman husband, Spencer. He was really amazing as well- he has spent about a year of his life underwater! My food policy professor is close friends with them and it was great to see their enthusiasm that we were all interested in making a food change on campus.
-KFC (Knox Food Coalition) has refocused and we are doing some cool things. We are currently doing precedent research on other schools like us and have been organizing a series of talks called "Improve Your Food IQ!". So far they have been pretty successful!
-It's Earth Week! Lots of things going on around campus this whole week. I'm exciting to be playing a set at the festival on Saturday. Local farmers are also going to do a mini-market on campus, with the full farmers market to start up for the year within walking distance of cmpus in a few weeks!
-Food Policy class has been awesome. We just finished reading The World According to Monsanto by Marie-Monique Robin. Excellent book. I thought I knew everything about Monsanto, but there was more to learn! Worth a read, and there is also a documentary companion, which I have yet to see.
-We've been writing policy briefs, which I will be posting. We have to write 5 over the course of the term. My first one is not very well written, so bear with me. But they are improving as I get feedback from my professor. Hopefully you will learn something by reading them (or even skimming them!).

FUN RANDOM THINGS
-I am now singing tenor in my a cappella group. It's a lot of fun. We didn't have enough tenors so our student director and I both joined up with the guys. Pretty fun to try something new.
- I am ADDICTED to this card game, which is known by several names, some offensive. But it is a fun game!

The weather has been rotten, so no good photos to share right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment