Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front

I may or may not have an obsession with Wendell Berry...
But it is completely justified!!!

Today I was skimming through my copy of American Earth, and re-discovered "Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front". Excellent piece of writing! One part that stood out to me was this:
So, friends, every day do something
that won't compute. Love the Lord.
Love the world. Work for nothing.
Take all that you have and be poor.
Love someone who does not deserve it.

That last bit is especially important. Love someone who does not deserve it. Perhaps through loving that person, they can learn to deserve it. One very important thing I have learned in college is that not everyone was loved as much as me. I have family and friends who have always loved and supported me, and I always took that for granted. So many young people have not been given the love they deserve and are worse off for it. So my goal for this year is to love people who don't deserve it. Instead of writing them off as obnoxious or lazy, give them a little love! And perhaps they will realize a little more of their self-worth and pass it on to someone else.

1 comment:

  1. hey! this was the poem quoted by the dude at the bread and puppet performance! what a coinky dink! (don't you LOVE it?)

    ReplyDelete