Sunday, January 17, 2010

Wendell Berry is the man!


So as I continue to read "Bringing it to the Table: On Farming and Food" by Wendell Berry, the more I enjoy his writing. He is simple, blunt, to the point. He states the truths that any of us in sustainable agriculture understand inherently.
One of my favorite passages of late is this, from his essay "Stupidity in Concentration" (2002):
"The word 'sustainable' is well on its way to becoming a label, like the word 'organic.' And so I want to propose a definition of 'sustainable agriculture.' This phrase, I suggest, refers to a way of farming that can be continued indefinitely because it conforms to the terms imposed upon it by the nature of places and the nature of people."

I'm having one of those weeks where several things all go wrong at once. When I feel overwhelmed, I breathe and think about all the people who are there for me and I hear their voices in my head telling me to do the right thing. I'm lucky in sososososo many ways.

Miss you, Erin. I'm trying really hard to be angry at the right things, just like your mom said.

2 comments:

  1. Wendell Berry was one of GrampAlan's favorites. And Erin's Mom is a very wise, and strong woman...

    ReplyDelete