Friday, January 29, 2010

Back to Basics

You ever have those days when you realize you are being totally hypocritical? I have realized that I have not done a very good job lately of eating good food. So I am trying to get back to basics! As Michael Pollan says, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Simple, simple, simple, yet sometimes so hard, especially in a midwestern college cafeteria! I think I just have to accept that I am going to spend more money on food, and that will involve making concessions. But honestly, would I rather spend money on stupid stuff I don't need (those gnome pajamas I bought at Target, although I love them, were entirely unneccesary) or on good food that will be an investment in my future body and be living out my food morals?
Especially now that I am starting out of season conditioning for volleyball, I remember how much better I feel when I exercise and eat right. Like, yesterday I did and hour of jump and agility training and played for an hour in the morning, and then swam for an hour last night. 3 hours of working out, and last night I didn't go to bed exhausted like I had the last few weeks.
We talked about photosynthesis yesterday in Plant Biology- it never ceases to amaze me how smart plants are. Imagine if we could make our own food! Once again- have you thanked a plant today?!?!

1 comment:

  1. I love Michael Pollen too, but that doesn't make simple words simple to follow! I gave up diet drinks first this year, and am trying to avoid corn syrup too - easier said than done, but glad for your inspiration. Thought of you this a.m. when a friend mentioned Emerson College in UK - have you heard of it? Thought you might find a fun abroad experience in their biodynamic farming curriculum.

    ReplyDelete