Sunday, October 9, 2011

Tonight I was thinking a lot of about things. Carrying your life around on your back definitely makes you think about the importance and unimportance of possessions. I think it'd be great if we cared less about things, but I know that there are plenty of possessions I wouldn't want to part with. I've definitely been trying to follow these guidelines when buying new things. But what about all the stuff I already own? Tonight I made a list of things I enjoy owning and why. I figure if I can't remember it after not being home the last 6 weeks and from several thousand miles away, then it probably doesn't matter and can go upon my return. Here are some of the things that made the list of keepers:
-My college quilt that my mom made for me, because it reminds me of her and keeps me warm during freezing prairie winters
-Several other Marmie creations (she's so crafty!) including a pencil roll, bags I use constantly, and the passport pouch I've been using on this trip
-My collection of silver jewelry given to me from various family members from their global travels because it reminds me of them and is just plain pretty
-All my assorted crafting supplies including paper, fabric, beads, and all sort of other goodies. I enjoy owning these because I can make my own products and use them myself or give to others- I have control over what is being used to make things I use on a daily basis
-My various sweaters and plaid flannels, for keeping me warm and in the rural spirit
-Books! Especially my collection of garden/farm/food books.
-My bike because it gets me where I'm going in style
-My ukulele and guitars because I can make sweet music with those I love and it's way cheaper than therapy
-My West Wing DVD collection, because we all need some relief from real life politics once in a while.
-My collection of various art friends have made, as simple as drawings on an envelope.


So here's for cherishing the treasures, and getting rid of the excess.
(I daily realize how I am becoming my parents. I suppose there are worse things that could happen. They are pretty great.)

No comments:

Post a Comment