Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Frustration and Sadness

Trying to explain my country is hard. So many Australians I've met here have been so kind about my being American, always distinguishing between the American government and the American people when criticizing policy. Telling me I shouldn't lump myself in with situations I describe as frustrating to me about the country I'm from. But how am I supposed to explain that my justice system just executed a man who was clearly innocent? More of my friends commented about the new facebook format than Troy Davis today. Most of them probably don't understand that, once again, someone was targeted for something they didn't do. They don't get that in the face of honesty and endless effort on the part of those who accused him to right the wrongs of his trial, our court system still killed a man. I agree with my friend Jamie that this feels so much worse because "So much of the injustice we face feels like a tide, a constant pulling that is scary and bigger than any one person. This felt real. This was measurable. We literally had to change the mind of 1 person. 1 person so that justice could prevail."
I remember working with my high school's Amnesty International group to raise awareness about Troy Davis's case. Several years ago. It took this long. They made this man wait. And wait. As Laura Moye of Amnesty International wrote in an email,

"My heart is heavy. I am sad and angry. The state of Georgia has proven what we already know. Governments cannot be trusted with the awful power over life and death.

Today, Georgia didn't just kill Troy Davis, they killed the faith and confidence that many Georgians, Americans and Troy Davis supporters worldwide used to have in our criminal justice system."

So today I have to wear a little more shame in my accent that I am from a broken America. I will continue to work to show that there is another America, an America that cares about justice and is working to fix all the problems we have helped to cause.

4 comments:

  1. aw, sweetheart...i, too am feeling quite haunted this morning, by what has happened, despite huge public outcry. we must keep working for peace and justice, for that is what we are called to do. love you.
    -Marmie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are truly fighting the long defeat, but I am proud to say that I am fighting that defeat with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughtful comments. As a country, we are lucky to have those such as you "working to fix all the problems we've helped to cause."

    ReplyDelete
  4. THanks for sharing this, you are absolutely right , it's a GREAT SHAME!!!!

    ReplyDelete