Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Care Packages

You know you're a lucky kiddo when your mom sends you fresh Vermont produce in the mail. Would she send me a pair of shoes or a shirt if I'd forgotten them? Probably not. But freshly pulled carrots from the garden in Vermont and my favorite variety of apples (honeycrisp)? Absolutely.
I awaited this package impatiently. I knew it must have arrived Friday afternoon, but alas, I can't pick up packages on the weekend! So when Monday rolled around, I went directly to the mail room. And some beautiful little carrots and two giant apples said hello when I opened the box. A few hours in my mini fridge and they were good to go. Biting into that apple tasted like New England autumn.
Sending them priority probably wasn't the greenest option, but technically it was local produce. LOCAL TO MY HEART! Plus, those apples and carrots came less distance than from Chile or New Zealand...



6 comments:

  1. You'll inspire me to do well by my college freshman who did the reverse commute: IL to the East Coast (D.C.) I wish he were as excited by such yummy healthy options! I'm a Hinsdale Unitarian friend of your moms - and I've loved your guest posts. Congrats on the launch of your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome! I live in CT, and my parents are up in New Hampshire. I just sent them pages copied from the Johnny's Seeds catalog, so we can all day dream about next years' gardens while the winter winds blow. Congrats on the blog launch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, stay away from that yucky soft serve, OK? xoxoMarmie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gretta,
    Congratulations on your new blog!!
    I'm a friend of your mom and Grandmother Elaine!
    I have to tell you, when I moved to Long Island years ago, and was having some lonely days, my dad sent me a box of tomatoes from his garden!!! I didn't know it was coming and you can imagine my joy at receiving something so basic to my family's diet!!
    I'm happily back in New England now, but it's a fond memory.
    Best wishes to you, Gretta!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the good wishes!
    And Marm- it's not soft serve, it's actually frozen yogurt. So it's ALMOST good for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gretta, welcome to the blogosphere! I'm a blog-friend of your mother's (also a quilter and a cat-lover) and have enjoyed your guest visits to your mother's blog. I work for the Postal Service--thought you'd like to know that we've got one of the largest alternative fuels fleets in the country and most of our packaging, including the Priority Mail boxes, is cradle to cradle certified, so those wonderful carrots and apples from home were pretty green after all!

    ReplyDelete