Sunday, March 6, 2011

Counting 20 years of blessings

Yesterday I turned 20! I had a really nice day filled with friends and relaxation. Today I am just happy to be. Tomorrow is the last day of classes for this term, which wasn't especially great. While I am a little stressed about my exams coming up later this week, the sun is shining it is nice out for the first time in what feels like forever. I am remembering all the little things that have kept me going through the dreary winter, some of which I keep in this little box my sister Hannah gave to me for Christmas.
Knowing my love for Wendell Berry, she put this quote on it: "Whether we and our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory, and a sterner sense of justice than we do."
One of my favorites, and it reminds me what I am fighting for in this lifetime. She also cheekily put chickens on it, knowing me aversion to birds, but also reminding me of the fears I have been working to get over! Those older sisters really know how to get you :) Inside this box I keep things that inspire me, for those days when all I want to do is be playing in the dirt but instead have to go to statistics class.
Quotes given to me by my sister Lindsey. A postcard from my sister Hannah with "Life is to be felt, not just figured out" and on the other side a note that reads "This quote made me think of you and your future. I know you'll just do your thang and follow your heart". A note from my brother Stew saying "I hope you can start planning out your own 'bit of earth' with this notebook!". Ticket stubs. A picture of Erin to remind me that every day is precious, if my 'e' isn't enough. Pictures of veggies, eggs, farming.
And then of course there is the slight plucking sound from the next room of my friend Alyssa and her banjo. Music has been great lately, with me and my friend Anna (and her ukelele) performing at an open mic last Friday as United Plaid (Local 309).

I've been watching That '70s Show on Netflix Instant lately, and this quote made me laugh out loud:
Bob: Well if you really wanted to cheer her up, you should have gotten her a banjo!
Red: A banjo, Bob?!
Bob: Yeah, you can't hold a banjo and NOT smile!

2 comments:

  1. "united plaid"...you kill me, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just getting caught up here Gretta.
    Thank you for keeping "e"rin close.
    xo

    ReplyDelete